Disease: Pseudotumor Cerebri
(Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension)
What is pseudotumor cerebri?
Pseudotumor cerebri literally means "false brain tumor." It is likely due to high pressure within the skull caused by the buildup or poor absorption of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). The disorder is most common in women between the ages of 20 and 50.
What are the symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri?
Symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri include symptoms that closely mimic large brain tumors:
- vomiting, and
- pulsating sounds within the head.
How is pseudotumor cerebri treated?
- Obesity, other treatable diseases, and some medications can cause raised intracranial pressure and symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri.
- A thorough medical history and physical examination is needed to evaluate these factors.
- If a diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri is confirmed, close, repeated ophthalmologic exams are required to monitor any changes in vision.
- Drugs may be used to reduce fluid buildup and to relieve pressure.
- Weight loss and cessation of certain drugs (including oral contraceptives, tetracycline, and a variety of steroids) may lead to improvement.
- Surgery may be needed to remove pressure on the optic nerve. Therapeutic shunting, which involves surgically inserting a tube to drain CSF from the lower spine into the abdominal cavity, may be needed to remove excess CSF and relieve CSF pressure.
What is the prognosis for patient's with pseudotumor cerebri?
The disorder may cause progressive, permanent visual loss in some patients. In some cases, pseudotumor cerebri recurs.
For more information about pseudotumor cerebri
Intracranial Hypertension Research Foundation
6517 Buena Vista Drive
Vancouver, WA 98661
National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD)
P.O. Box 1968
(55 Kenosia Avenue)
Danbury, CT 06813-1968
Tel: 203-744-0100 Voice Mail 800-999-NORD (6673)
Pseudotumor Cerebri Support Network
8247 Riverside Drive
Powell, OH 43065
Define Common Diseases
Asthma Health Center helps you find information, definitaions and treatement options for most common diseases, sicknesses, illnesses and medical conditions. Find what diseases you have quick and now.