What is Khat and what are the street names for Khat?
Street terms for Khat: (pronounced Cot) Abyssinian tea, African salad, oat, kat, chat, and catha. Also referred to as qat in Yemen, tschat in Ethiopia, and miraa in Kenya.
What does Khat look like?
- Khat is a flowering evergreen shrub native to East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
- Khat that is sold and abused is usually just the leaves, twigs, and shoots of the Khat shrub.
How is Khat used?
- Khat is typically chewed like tobacco.
- The fresh leaves, twigs, and shoots of the Khat shrub are chewed, and then retained in the cheek and chewed intermittently to release the active drug.
- Dried plant material can be made into tea or a chewable paste.
- Khat can also be smoked and even sprinkled on food.
What are the health side effects of Khat use?
- Common side effects include anorexia, tahycardia, hypertension, insomnia, and gastric disorders.
- Chronic Khat abuse can result in symptoms such as physical exhaustion, violence, and suicidal depression.
- Widespread frequent use of Khat impacts productivity because it tends to reduce worker motivation.
- Khat can induce manic behaviors, hyperactivity, and hallucinations.
- There are reports of Khat-induced psychosis.
Who uses Khat?
- The use of Khat is an established cultural tradition for many social situations in the areas of primary cultivation: East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.
- Several million people may currently be using Khat worldwide.
- The largest concentrations of users are in the regions surrounding the Middle East.
How does Khat get to the United States?
- Khat, while illegal in the United States, is legal in much of Europe, East Africa, and the Arabian Peninsula.
- Individuals of East African and Middle Eastern descent are mot often responsible for the importation, distribution, possession, and use of Khat in the United States.
- Khat is usually shipped already packaged in bundles, and wrapped in plastic bags or banana leaves to retain moisture and freshness.
- Khat is generally smuggled in passenger luggage, overnight express mail, or shipped as air cargo and falsely labeled as "vegetables."
How much does Khat cost?
- Exactly prices are not known, but Khat is a relatively costly drug.
SOURCE: United States Drug Enforcement Administration. Khat.
Last Editorial Review: 12/13/2011 1:46:46 PM
Define Common Diseases
Asthma Health Center helps you find information, definitaions and treatement options for most common diseases, sicknesses, illnesses and medical conditions. Find what diseases you have quick and now.